Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hull repairs FINISHED

Well everyone you'll have to tell me what you think !
Today the last bit of hull repair has been FINISHED. 
There will be deck and cabin top to do, also put everything back together again, and of course the caulking, sanding, and painting will be next, but its finished in my mind, I have my boat back again !

Some pics then of this weeks work, done I may say in very hot and humid conditions, with the high summer sun beating down relentless. "oh hell. Not another day in Paradise"
First pic after fitting the rudder shoe, deadwood put in position and the 3 pilot holes were drilled through the bottom, dead centre (after the bother getting the first one right)
in Line pilot holes





and how long they are
  me checking them out
 Then the last piece of wood for the sacrificial bit (worm shoe) is drilled out countersunk and 19 2-1/2"x16 bronze wood screws driven home. That took me a day to do

 Then the final shaping of the complete piece


 Then without the shoe its primed ready for fitting, this shows the holding bolt holes


 Then putting the rudder in its shoe


 Then after 2 tubes of bedding compound its wedged up, bolts pushed through, and using a 3 ton car jack, the heads are forced up and tightened up inside








 Then the primed worm shoe is bedded and screwed up squeezing the compound out using blocks and wedges (my screwdiver was too long) took me ages.


 But it all oozed out great







 And after chizeling out, the 2 side plates were fitted and bolted, then the sanding and priming, and now my boat is complete at long long last ! ............... !
 Roy