Friday, August 12, 2016

Journey to Rodney Bay Episode 2

Hi Again to all
After all that happened the only thing left was the engine bilge pump which was not pumping very much overboard and was taking far to long to cut out. Knowing this pump also had a none return check valve I suspected this had also stuck open. This hose to the overboard came in question on my trip to Antigua, and that previous story has been told. So now time to find out what the cause is. The High capacity engine driven pump (not installed yet) shares the Electric pump hose, its suction has a 'Y' valve fitted so it can pump from engine bilge, or, main cabin bilge, independently from any other system, the valve was lined up to the main cabin bilge, The electric pump had indeed a stuck open none return valve, the pressure from that one was forcing 90% of the engine bilge water into the cabin bilge via the driven bilge pump which overflows over a weir to the engine bilge !! hence hardly any water was being pumped overboard !!
A small clamp on the hose clamping it shut has temp. fixed that problem, but has changed now my priority work list for Rodney Bay. Which will be:-
  1. source 2 none return valves of the 'Flap' type one for salvage pump line now off, and one for elect. engine bilge p/p. Engine driven pump still off.
  2. Fit new none return valve to salvage pump hose
  3. fit a separate hose for engine bilge, means fitting a new 1” through hull connection,and fit none return valve in line.
  4. Re-site Engine driven pump and then fit new belt.
  5. Remove engine coupling and fit 2 belts (one as spare) over prop shaft and reinstall the Hydro Alternator.
Will have to be done on a berth.
With all the above sorted out in my brain over that coffee, I was indeed now enjoying the moment whilst sailing to Guadalupe, time since leaving Jolly only 2.5hrs ie. 10Am.

Had a great sail down the coast of Guadalupe, and as sunset approached I was clearing the southern end and beginning the crossing to Dominica.
Got halfway past Dominica during the night but hit the wind shadow about 0200hrs, a lot of heavy showers overnight with the wind disappearing after each one, had to put the engine on as flopping about with sails flapping, wind did not really come back, sporadic to say the least, 'Fred' and my repair was working I think, better than its ever been.
10.30am saw me just starting to pass Martinique, and still motor sailing most of the time. It didn't come back until I was half way across Fort Du France Bay about 1730hrs, as Sunset again approached I was just clearing the land and could see Diamond Rock.
This meant my ETA for Rodney Bay was now 1200midnight/0100hrs, not good as with the above work list I would have to go into the marina which had not been my plan. Swell was small so I heaved too and stopped the boat, made a coffee and watched the sunset, boat doing 1.4 knts and very quiet gentle movement I went to sleep. Woke up at 1100hrs still on course made 2 Nm. Went to sleep. Woke up at 0200hrs still on course made 5 miles 25 to go. Woke up at 0500hs still on course made another 2 Nm, went for a pee...............PANIC............... water sloshing quietly over the floorboards.........WHAT THE HELLLLL.................
I Dashed back to the galley Adrenalin coursing though my veins !!!!! tripping, banging, falling over everything I had chucked out of everywhere in the saloon. Lifting the board the water was nearly up to the electric bilge pump connections, approx 3 tons of water !!!!!!!!!!!! Put my hand down to feel the pump, NO !! it was not running ?????? no power checked feed panel..everything switched on ????????? check pump switch, move gas bottle, its switched OFF ?????? switched it on its ok and pumping, only the cabin bilge pump to help, all others nobbled, it took ages to pump it all out, had to start the engine. After exhaustive inquiries of brain and intuition I had Embarrassingly knocked off the bilge pump switch with the gas bottle at sunset after lighting the stove to make that relaxing coffee !!!! ALL MY OWN FAULT.
Lit the stove and made a relaxing coffee to watch the Sunrise, and threw the gas bottle into the saloon with all the other junk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived at Rodney Bay at 0900hrs, dropped sails and docked at the Marina at 1000hrs.
More Later

No comments:

Post a Comment