Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Work progress 4

Hi Everyone here is latest news
 First pic is of bunk bottom boards, they were so bad I have had to do them as well before I ordered the cushions to be fixed, as well as doing all the other jobs

Second pic is of them all varnished and screwed back down in fore cabin. Note the cushions have also been done with new backing material and good quality foam, so all bunks are now available as beds at long long last.
Pic 3 is the first undercoat applied to cabin top Pic 4 is after sanding and filling second coat going on.
Pic 3


Pic 5
Pic 5 is after another 2 coats have been applied with filling and sanding in between, ready for first top coat.
Pic 6 is first top coat

Pic 6
After another 2 topcoats were applied with sanding in between the 3rd topcoat was put on, this time using the last tin of paint I have of the right colour. Of course this means I will not be able to touch up the hull this time, as I only get 2 coats from one tin on the cabin top. The last coat will be put on when all the fittings have been replaced. Pic 7 & 8
Pic 7
Pic 8

I have also been sanding and varnishing all the bits around the boat, Pic 9 is the companionway hatch

Pic 9

Pic 10 is the fore deck mess, note the 2 vents that were ripped off the cabin when I went on the reef, they have to be replaced now
Pic 10

 And as I am doing the deck next, Pic 11 is the mast step hole which has to be repaired before I can start re caulking.
Pic 11

So when the vents handrails and coamings have been completed I will post the next set of Pics.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Working on cabin roof

Hi Everyone,
Work started on the cabin coachroof on Monday 3rd  Feb, and as at 10th repairs have been finished. It remains now to fill and paint and also replace the coaming strips around the edge.

Before I came home last June I had a go at removing these coamings with disastrous results, I could not remove the screws, I ended up having to destroy one length, so I Posted a pile of teak to myself, to be able to make new one's, expecting to do that to all of them, amazingly although very hard to do, the remaining ones all survived my frenzied attack intact and are also now being varnished. 

At the same time as doing this I have been sanding and varnishing the Bow Sprit and Spreaders (which needed a reinforcing rivet fitting) and for the first time I have a local man to give me a helping hand, I removed all the wooden blocks from Halyards and Sheets, and after a close inspection for any damage, he, Aaron, is sanding and varnishing them and anything else I can think of while he is here. I have also started the deck repairs which begin with the Mast Step.

The outside of the boat on deck is a bit depressing, it is so dirty from being outside so long with no covers, I am ignoring this because of the work required and that will be done later.
The cooker had to go on hold for a bit, but will be started very soon as other jobs are finished. All rigging has been inspected in minute detail for any sign of damage or distortion after the pounding on the reef, and I am very glad to say none has been found, it all required cleaning up so that has also been done. 

I did try to post some pictures, and even reducing the size down to minimum,

 not one would upload on my blog, they will be posted later when I get a better connection. And now today i was successful loading the pics of repair to cabin roof.
More coming

Saturday, February 1, 2014

2- Getting to grips with work load

Hi everyone,
Well I am back on board GL, a bit of a disappointing sight awaited me. She had only just been put back into the Shed at Rodney Bay shipyard, she had been taken out and left outside to fend for herself against the sun wind and this seasons unusual amount of rain, for over 4-1/2 months. The portholes had not been shut and generally GL wasn't prepared for being outside before I left in June last year.
I've been cleaning and washing everything inside and out and have found a lot of water related damage, it took over 3 hours to drain the rainwater from the bilges, as there was so much, of course the p/ps had not been left switched on.
So this has delayed beginning the required repairs to deck and cabin top. They will start in earnest on Monday 3rd Feb.
hopefully I will be posting regularly again from now on with good news.