Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Deadwood

Hi All,
So the Deadwood saga begins in earnest. First pic is Sundays first trial fitting and marking out an acurate template. I picked up 2 pieces of white oak from the wood shop on Saturday, and glued the first bit to the bottom of the wood already stuck together. Then after making a lifting frame, making sure I could lift the now very heavy piece of wood, up in position.
I then spent the rest of the day sanding the end flat to fit the aft face of the lead keel.
Once flat, I screwed on the 2 location inserts, not glued yet, and had another fitting. Then holding my breath I cut out the rudder shoe and stern line part, hoping I hadn't ruined the whole thing by getting it wrong. 2 pics of this.


As can be seen, I did get it right, the shoe will fit ok on the deadwood and hold the rudder perfect.
I then gave the whole lot a very rough sand in position, and marked out the final shape I need to achieve. 2 pics of that.




So to bring it all up to date, Deadwood is now removed again, ready for final shaping and gluing up. The second piece of oak will be screwed to the bottom and shaped and is called the worm shoe. this will take the little bumps and scrapes I may do during the close encounters with the hard stuff they call land, and also give a worm barrier to the main part.
Now though the current part of this is the Engine. I have to finish priming and painting the bilge and garboards on the inside, replace the fuel tank, make sure the bilge pumps work! ( now complete the bilge can fill with rain water!) replace all the floors, move everything out the way, and last but not least, remove the engine out of the eng room. I will then be able to remove the old bolts so I can drill the holes through the new deadwood. This is going to take a bit of work, and I started it yesterday with the bilges in way of the fuel tank primed.
Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment