Friday, July 8, 2011

Carnival & Boatyard

Hi everyone,
If you can not beat them, join them!, so the carnival started in Cruz Bay St John on Monday. I arranged with Erin and company to go and see for myself, as I had a lot of info from everyone here about how amazing it is. It starts July 4th US indipendance day, and its a parade of local people, some advertizing clubs, business's, bars, resturants, rock groups and life syles, and boy the effort put into it by the people is quite something else. Some of the live music bands had mobile sound systems, so powerfull it was deafaning. The parade started at 12 noon and was still passing us at 1700hs! The costumes were fantastic too, a lot of time went into making them and choreographing their dance routines, for such a small Island it was all truly impressive, as, it was done the American way, with a Caribbean twist. About halfway round the capital near the beach and ferry dock they have a judge's stand, and all are judged, they make a special effort during this, with the winners receiving prize's. It all culminates at 2100hrs with a firework display, I can only say you have to be there to appriciate what a good time everyone enjoyed.
Tuesday saw a lovely dawn sunrise with a promise of light winds and no rain for a change, perfect to shoot over too St Thomas and Benner Bay boatyard. I made the appointment and left about 1145hrs, arriving there at approx 1530hrs, After running aground 3 times (its very shallow water all over, but only a sandy muddy bottom), I anchored in 2.8 feet of water (I am aground at 2.4 feet below transducer) opposite the marina to wait till Thursday, my allotted haul out day. So yesterday I was lifted out at about 0830hrs and GL is now ashore were I have already started work.
My Position is: 18,19.28N 064,51.97W I have already met quite a few boat people, they all seem to really like GL, one guy said "thank you for bringing her here so I could see her!" his name is Chris, and he donated 3 x 8" new bronze fastenings for my up coming repair!
Will let you all know how I get on. Oh the weather, it started heavy raining again at about 0500hrs this morning, and at Local Time: 08. July 2011 09:50 it hasn't stopped yet!
Roy